The ABE-Sponsored Disability Plans
What's the Difference?
|Plan Features||NEW! Long-Term Disability Plus||Long-Term Disability||Mid-Term Disability|
Payable Up to
Payable Up to Age 65
Payable Up to:
2 Years for Sickness
5 Years for Accident
(See plan details)
|Own Occupation Definiton
(including specialty of law)
Up to age 65
|For first 5 years||Not applicable|
|Member Waiting Period||60, 90, 180 & 365 Day||60, 90 & 180 Day|
|Spouse Waiting Period||90, 180 & 365 Day||90 & 180 Day|
|Other Features||Presumptive Disability (automatically included in plan)
Catastrophic Disability Option
Law School Loan Repayment Add-on
|Example Quarterly Member
Without COLA: $165.60
With COLA: $171.00
Without COLA: $149.40
With COLA: $154.20
|1Example rate based on $6,000/month benefit for a member, aged 42 with a 90-day waiting period. See rate calculators.|
Commonly Asked Questions...
- Q. Why is ABE introducing the new Long-Term Disability Plus plan?
- A. Many members have asked for a more robust disability plan that offers different benefits, including a definition of disability including your "own occupation" or specialty of law, up to age 65. The Long-Term Disability plan's definition of disability includes your own occupation or specialty of law for five years, rather than up to age 65. This new benefit in the new Long-Term Disability Plus plan is an important difference ABE wanted to be able to sponsor for ABA members. Additional benefits in Long-Term Disability Plus is a Presumptive Disability benefit, which provides benefits immediately in the event of certain physical conditions, such as loss of the use of both hands or the entire sight in both eyes. This plan also offers two new additional options, with an additional premium cost, along with the COLA option: Catastrophic Disability and Loan Repayment. See plan details for more information on this exciting new plan available exclusively to ABA members.
- Q. Why are the Mid-Term Disability rates less expensive?
- A. The Mid-Term Disability rates are less expensive because of the benefit period for this plan, up to five years per accident and two years per sickness. The Long-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability Plus are each payable up to age 65 (or up to two years for disabilities beginning on or after age 63 but before age 70 and one year for disabilities that begin on or after age 70 but before age 75).
- Q. Why does the ABE offer three different disability plans?
- A. The ABE offers different plans to meet your individual needs. These three plans allow members to choose which plan, or combination of plans, is best for their current situation.
Underwritten by New York Life Insurance Company, 51 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10010 on Policy Form GMR. Coverage may vary or may not be available in all states.
New York Life Insurance Company's state of domicile is New York and its NAIC ID# is 66915.
All ABE-sponsored plans are group insurance plans, meaning coverage is issued to an ABA member under a Certificate of Insurance. It is not provided under an individual policy, nor is it employer/employee insurance. Plans may vary and may not be available in all states.
Bonnie Czarny is licensed in AR, Ins. Lic. #404091 and in CA, Ins. Lic. #0H99426
We will be happy to answer your questions. Just call 800-621-8981 or email us at email@example.com